permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Grow with the flow! Urine charge. A golden opportunity. Liquid gold.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Earth Passengers" <earthpassengers@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Grow with the flow! Urine charge. A golden opportunity. Liquid gold.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:41:34 +0800

Hi Keith,

To answer your poll questions, i save about half of my pee for my
rooftop garden - the rest i pee in toilets when i'm out in the city. I
dilute the pee with dishwater/handwash/ricewash water from my sink at
least 1:10 but closer to 1:30 most of the time. I use it to grow food
on my roof (taro, brassicas, eggplant, tomato, peppers, banana,
papaya, sweet potato, onion tree, mints, lemon grass, kumquat,
passionfruit, grape, beans, strawberry, ginger, roses and others). I
also shit into a bucket in the bathroom and add sawdust (hard to find
here) or old shredded straw from tatami mats discarded in my
neighborhood (easy to find here). I add this until there is no smell.
The bucket has a tight cover to keep out fruit flies (I once had a
fruit fly problem when i covered the poop with coffee grounds that
were inconspiciuosly infested with fruit flies). When the small bucket
in the bathroom is full, i empty it into a large bucket on the roof.
The large bucket was first prepared by drilling holes near the bottom
and first piling up 30-50 cm with rotten sticks to keep the bottom
part aerated and inoculated. I don't stir this bucket and i don't add
water. I just keep adding poop and straw from the small bathroom
bucket. It is covered to keep out rain and flies. It seems to be
turning into fine compost at a good pace. It does not heat up so i
don't let people with pathogens poop in my bucket (that will be the
day when i find someone who insists on pooping in my bucket :). I have
only been doing this for less than a year and have not used the
compost yet. I have added similar unheated but completely composted
humanure to my gardens and containered plants for the past 5 years
with good results. Just a side note to encourage those who may think
that land is a prerequisite for humanutrient recycling: I'm doing this
all in a very urban concrete environment at a rented apartment with no
land. It was Jenkins' Humanure Handbook that gave me the necessary
confidence and information to begin.

Peter