permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fruit tree guilds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fruit tree guilds
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:12:54 -0500

Interesting complex, here in southwest WI I've been growing echinacea, angelica, blue flag, comfrey & lilacs around my pears.

~mIEKAL

On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:07 AM, roxann wrote:

i haven't been at this long enough to say whether it's good or not, but here's what i have in my pear guild. comfrey, oregano, lemon balm, sage, lavender, and echinacea. the comfrey is not doing well because i believe the sun is too harsh on it and and one of the lavender plants died. everything suffered from drought this summer, but overall they all seem to be happy together. it is situated on a steep southern slope with a native rock retaining wall, all mulched with old hay. the pear itself is too young to bear but i am hoping next year will be fruitfull. this may not be what you wanted to know, but it's a start and i'd sure like to hear how others are doing it, too. my plans are to terrace this entire hillside eventually, but the going is very slow because i work away from home too much.

roxann, nw arkansas
www.ancientearthwisdom.com