permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Using Prickly Pear cacti

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Using Prickly Pear cacti
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:02:35 -0400

That mucilaginous quality in the pads can be useful as a binder when making clay / straw mixes for plastering. See the following:

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/lime.html <http://www.northcoast.com/%7Etms/lime.html>

http://www.designcoalition.org/features/natural/liteclay.htm

Keith

KNat wrote:
Lisa Rollens wrote:
I have a pasture that is getting overtaken by prickly pear cactus. I understand
bushhogging only makes it worse, and have seen that. So I need to dig some up, but
would like to try using them. From Cornucopia II I see that the pads are good for
human and livestock food/feed, but how does one actually prepare them? Has anyone
actually done this and can pass on specific "how-to"s? I thought of holding
them over a fire briefly to burn off the thorns....????

It's been a dry year here, as usual, and the pastures are all burned up, and
livestock feed would be a good thing. I understand these pads can be sliced
and sun-dried also.
--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine