permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Using Prickly Pear cacti

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Using Prickly Pear cacti
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:17:56 -0500

Lisa Rollens wrote:
I have a pasture that is getting overtaken by prickly pear cactus. I understand
bushhogging only makes it worse, and have seen that. So I need to dig some up, but
would like to try using them. From Cornucopia II I see that the pads are good for
human and livestock food/feed, but how does one actually prepare them? Has anyone
actually done this and can pass on specific "how-to"s? I thought of holding
them over a fire briefly to burn off the thorns....????

It's been a dry year here, as usual, and the pastures are all burned up, and
livestock feed would be a good thing. I understand these pads can be sliced
and sun-dried also.
FWIW A fair number of years ago I bartered work for keep in Texas and my job was range pasture. I took a blowtorch and singed off the spines so the cattle could eat the prickly pear. Just get the spines burned down. If you want to get rid of it anyway don't worry about burning it too far. If there were other feed they wouldn't eat it all, but if other things are scarce they'd make good work of it. It was dwindling down that year, so I left some with its defenses. I also stabbed some with sticks and birds also took advantage. The fruit, I've cut off ripe (pretty color) with tongs, sliced and boiled and strained. The resulting juice used in recipes like candy or lamb sauce. Just as a project though, so someone else will have to help with efficiency. I've also seen it dried for storage but never done that. I'd singe first then cut rather than manipulating thorns. Enjoy.

Kathyann