permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rocky land & cold climate

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rocky land & cold climate
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:42:58 -0400

George,
Last year, just before the International Pc Convergence, 40 permaculturists toured Sepp and Veronika Holzer's rocky, cold-cllimate Pc system in Austria and were amazed at the marvels of production and abundance which they consistently generate. To learn more about their work, pick up copies of his videos from Pc Activist http://www.permacultureactivist.net/booksvid/vid%20dvd%20cd.htm and visit his website at http://www.krameterhof.at/Englisch/anzeige.htm

For Sepp, rocks meant additional heat (from solar gain) and water retention (as mulch) and much of his farm was tilled entirely by pigs. He had 30,000 fruit trees which needed NO pruning, no spraying, no fertilizer, and no irrigation. He has 70 aquaculture ponds and generates all the electricity needed for his own and several neighbors needs. He also grew lemons and olives at 4000 feet elevation. Sepp was fortunate that he had a southern exposure and steep slopes that received excellent insolation in the winter.
Keith

sustain_ability@123mail.org wrote:

If anybody on this list is currently planning an alternative paradigm,
please indicate where or how I can contact you. I am in search of a plan
to utilize an extremely rock-laden piece of property in a cold climate.
I have some ideas but would like to discuss them with experienced
persons.

George

--
Keith Johnson