permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:35:24 -0400

J Kolenovsky wrote:

I couldn't tell from the thread who said this.

"I have ignored the peak oil issue deliberately as just a distraction. The
extreme need for energy conservation and usage
efficiency stands on its own and ranks very high in priority".

Is this a positive and negative distraction and how does Peak Oil have a relative
effect on the issue?

"Ranks very high in priority". Present tense or "past" tense. Will it turn around?
What does the next century hold?

I said:

PO is a distraction.
Where is the proof there is an oil shortage?

and

"energy conservation and usage efficiency stands on its own and ranks very high in
priority"

The energy issue is separate from the PO issue and has always been around.

Things need a complete turnaround to reduce demand for oil and energy from other sources used in agriculture/wild grazing, architecture, transportation, local commerce. There is a need for massive R&D in off the grid equipment
and usage in energy-efficient architecture; also, year-round gardening in greenhouses with heat collection and storage of advanced design.

All this can easily be done. Industry has provided us with excellent materials (plastics, wood, masonry, insulation products, OTG equipment and more) to help make this happen.