permaculture - [permaculture] noise barrier

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] noise barrier
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:25:30 +0000

Thanks a lot, folks, for the valuable advice on noise barriers. I will definitely use a solid wall. You have given me new ideas to think about. I may have to change my plans significantly for future work. I need to construct a tool shed also, so I think the tool shed can be part of the noise barrier wall. My water tanks can also be put between my house and my neighbours to be part of the barrier also. But I'm going slowly and will do more thinking before I actually build anything new.
I've got another piece of land where I have to plant a living fence to keep out cows and goats (and 2 legged animals also). I'm trying various plants that are native to the site and that are fire-resistant. I tried planting lantana last year and they survived the dry season well and may form a good fence. THere are other plants that I think will be suitable but I have to try to find ways to propagate them successfully.

Charles.

Vegetation is not very effective at blocking noise unless it is dense and
20-40 feet wide. Ten feet of dense hedge helps some, but loud noises like
traffic, dog barks, or animated conversations will penetrate it easily.
For
an effective barrier, you'll need something solid. Two thin walls with an
air gap between is very effective.