permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Culture vs. Mother

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Culture vs. Mother
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
> I haven't been studying Permaculture very long, so such discussions raise a
> question to my mind:
> Will the probable breakdown of law, order, & civility allow any of us to
> peacefully practice
> what we believe?
>
> E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
> www.hillcountrynatives.biz

Law, order, and civility represent the problem. In the past when law, order,
& civility broke
down, new law, order, & civility were created (the people revolt, a republic
redistributes wealth;
a dictator seizes power, wealth shifts to a new tyrant; etc). I am not
advocating lawlessness,
chaos, and rudeness, either. To practice what we believe, we must change
minds, including our
own. If we look at Permaculture as merely a means to produce food and live
more sustainably, but
then we still find ourselves going to the store to buy food and paying
rent/mortgages, we will
have perpetuated the cause of poverty, suffering, and oligarchy. Sooner or
later, law, order, &
civility brake down, which opens the door later for coming back to where we
are today - heading
towards the proverbial cliff - even with Permaculture being dominant for
awhile. Empires can
exist from horseback, just as they can from a stealth bomber.

-Sean.