permaculture - Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:21:34 -0500

Regarding granite, be sure to ask them what kind of solvents they are using in their granite process. I contacted Oklahoma granite quarries and they all said their dust would not be suitable for garden use because of the solvents and chemicals they use.

BOb Waldrop, Oklahoma City

----- Original Message ----- From: "kevin s" <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
as far as rock dust goes, does anyone have any suggestions for
discovering the mineral content of any particular source?

our local quarry is crushing 'blue granite' and will load the dust
from the slurry pond at 4 dollars a ton

we recently got the soil test back from our local extension office,
and we seem to be in pretty good shape with our existing soil. there
are already good levels all around of P, K, Mg, and Ca.

all the extension office recommends adding is 120 to 140lbs per ac
of nitrogen, (we'll get from compost and manure) and 20 lbs per acre
of P205 phosphate (whatever that is)

i think we'll be pretty good

i'm googling "blue granite" right now but not coming up with much useful yet

regards,
kevin