permaculture - Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: andrew phillips <greenman124@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:29:15 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,

think you will find this helpful.

andrew

>"Hugelkultur is nothing more than making raised beds
filled with rotten wood."

>I might say 'rotting' rather than 'rotten' since even
fresh green wood can
>be used. Also it is not absolutely essential that the
material be covered
>with dirt. I have created wood "terraces" with any
carbonaceous material I
>could get my hands on...logs, brush, etc.....and
raked the annual
>deposition of leaves over the material. Here in NC,
where we have high
>precip and humidity, the material breaks down much
quicker than it would
>in, say, California. I grew fabulous pumpkins, for
example, in Ca in the
>8 month dry period (no rain at all) without
irrigating. I used everything
>organic I could accumulate, from logs to leaves, and
laid it out about 2
>feet deep and planted into soil pockets.
>
>Its amazing how the rotting wood becomes like a
sponge. I can pull out
>pieces that I buried two years ago and squeeze them
to yield copious
>amounts of water. Now when I look at wood, green or
even dry, I think "Water".

>I tell my students that every unit of carbon
incorporated into soils can
>hold 4 units of water.
>
>Penny Livingston, of Pc Inst of N Ca, had a few brush
piles littering her
>site but she didn't feel like moving or burning them,
so she piled on
>straw and a light scattering of soil, planted
potatoes into it, and
>harvested a couple bushels of spuds in addition to
dissolving the "problem".

>Here at Earthaven we have prohibited the burning of
brush so the slower
>biological 'burn' is our preferred way of managing
it.

>You will be greatly rewarded by using this approach.
Thanks for the pix.
>Keith
>
>Paul Wheaton wrote:
>
>>I learned about hugelkultur a few weeks ago and gave
it a whirl. Took