permaculture - Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] sheet mulch beds for CSA production?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:57:12 -0400

Kevin,

kevin s wrote:

so, what is the largest area of sheet mulch beds that folks have going?

I've seen a half-acre in solid whole strawbales that rotted down beautifully, and in Slovenia saw 2 acres being mulched with the hand-scythed yield from 4 acres of very species-complex meadow, also to brilliant effect.

we are planning on cutting the 'stumps' off flush to the ground, and then covering them with cardboard and waste vegetable oil (i have a lot because i run a car on it) hoping! that nothing can get thru

Consider that regrowth from those stumps can yield lovely mulchable material (often fodder, too). If you have large woody material (wider in diameter that your wrist and up) consider hugelkultur, involving burying the material under mulch and / or soil. Determine first whether it might grow roots if you bury it green or whether drying it a bit might be advised.

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine