permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 38, Issue 37

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 38, Issue 37
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:09:31 -0700

Re: [permaculture] Wind barrier
From:
neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:16:21 -0500
To:
permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, vonzu@frisurf.no

To:
permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, vonzu@frisurf.no

Russian olive, the classic perma-tree?

I don't grow it myself, but I've seen numerous citations for it being
cold-hardy, a good windbreak, drought-hardy, and fast-growing. Since
it is shrubby and nitrogen-fixing, probably very shrubby in a
high-wind environment, it could be used to shelter seedlings for a
slower-growing but taller trees.