permaculture - Re: [permaculture] question for list members: is a formalnetiquetteguide for the PC list desired?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] question for list members: is a formalnetiquetteguide for the PC list desired?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:30:07 -0600

Mitch,

I agree that we must speak to the masses, but at the same time there has to be a place where permaculturists can talk among themselves about issues. This list is such a place. I have subscribed here for several years and I have learned a lot. Yes, we talk philosophy and culture and such but you can also find answers to specific questions. Feel free to ask such questions, that might be a good way to get a new discussion started.

One recommendation I would make. When I was first learning about permaculture, the best "one volume" source for permaculture information in plain, everyday language, that I found was Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden: a guide to homescale permaculture".

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.bettertimesinfo.org
www.energyconservationinfo.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
I apologize in advance, because some of this post is critical. Not of the individual below, but of the "attitude" (maybe not a good word) his language illustrates. I do recognize that every special-interest group has its own language, but I have to question the motives behind the language.

If the purpose of Permaculture is to develop small closed groups that can survive the coming crises, a special language is fine.

If the purpose of Permaculture is to develop methods that help all species and individuals to survive, then the language MUST be understood by truck drivers, waiters, clerks, ditch diggers, etc., who, with their votes and dollars, make far-reaching decisions.

If I have no idea what is being said, like below, I cannot act on it. Also, capitalization, spelling and punctuation can be ignored if self-expression is your goal. If COMMUNICATION is your goal, you should adhere to the principles of good writing that are commonly accepted and understood. If you "define your own meaning", your neighbor won't understand you. If he doesn't understand you, he will probably oppose you. Where does that get you?

All of this is just another way of saying that we need to preach to the masses, rather than to each other, if we want real change. Please dumb it down so I can understand you - I want to learn from you.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz