permaculture - Re: [permaculture] question for list members: is a formalnetiquette guide for the PC list desired?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] question for list members: is a formalnetiquette guide for the PC list desired?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:27:33 -0600

I apologize in advance, because some of this post is critical. Not of the
individual below, but of the "attitude" (maybe not a good word) his language
illustrates. I do recognize that every special-interest group has its own
language, but I have to question the motives behind the language.

If the purpose of Permaculture is to develop small closed groups that can
survive the coming crises, a special language is fine.

If the purpose of Permaculture is to develop methods that help all species
and individuals to survive, then the language MUST be understood by truck
drivers, waiters, clerks, ditch diggers, etc., who, with their votes and
dollars, make far-reaching decisions.

If I have no idea what is being said, like below, I cannot act on it. Also,
capitalization, spelling and punctuation can be ignored if self-expression is
your goal. If COMMUNICATION is your goal, you should adhere to the
principles of good writing that are commonly accepted and understood. If you
"define your own meaning", your neighbor won't understand you. If he doesn't
understand you, he will probably oppose you. Where does that get you?

All of this is just another way of saying that we need to preach to the
masses, rather than to each other, if we want real change. Please dumb it
down so I can understand you - I want to learn from you.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz