permaculture - Re: [permaculture] using old carpet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] using old carpet
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:30:52 +1100

On 30/1/06 6:17 AM, "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com> wrote:

> I tried planting a variety of legumes directly into the
> grasses - cow peas, winter peas, vetches, clovers, etc. as appropriate for
> each season. The legumes could not compete with the grasses. I was hoping
> the cow peas would at least shade them out some, but no. I've also been
> trying to move the soil micro-biology towards more fungually based in an
> attempt to weaken the hold of the grasses.
>
> It is a continual effort to keep the bermuda clear in the rings around each
> tree that I have.

Have you tried planting rings of comfrey around the trees. I have seen it
out-compete a range of grasses, both running grasses like Kikuyu and couch
as well as larger clumping grasses. Best way to establish is planting lots
of root cuttings in winter/early spring. As well as controlling grasses
it's one of the best nutrient-rich living mulches for fruit and nut trees.

Robyn

--
New pathways to sustainability... education & design services
Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education