permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Kisan Mehta <kisansbc@vsnl.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Buried unglazed pots as watering system
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:55:45 -0800

Peter... didn't mean to cause confusion, the organic material is added to the soil -around the pot -not in the pot. It can act as a sponge and/or a wick -it can slow down, help isolate and/or help disperse the moisture. The single pot worked the best for us -and doesn't require the waterproof glues.

Kisan Mehta... the terra cotta pots that I am referring to are unglazed but fired once and have lasted for many years in the ground.

Marjory... I have successfully used 4 inch to 10 inch pots. The only way to know the best size, rates and the distribution plume to expect for your situation and soil -is trails... The roots won't necessarily grow around the pots... like with most irrigation -roots follow the plume. Try using wood chips for the effect you need. Test various sizes and materials in your specific soil -it's very easy, very low cost, with very quick results -and if any improvements are needed -I suspect that you'll get the ideas that only trials can lead you to...

Good luck -let me know how else I can help.

"As soon as we start doing -we learn how to proceed" -Bill Mollison

Larry

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
805.459.0452
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

Thanks Larry.
Great idea - I'll try putting two pots together like that. Any glue
recommendations?
What is the function of wood chips and course organic matter in the pots?
Peter

We feel that unglazed
earthen vessel or substance cannot hold to shape hence glazing cannot be
avouded. Best wishes.

Kisan Mehta Priya Salvi Rajiv Bhatt

Hi Larry,

I am jumping in here - and yes, I was the one with the low pressure gravity
fed system. If you could relay some more specifics please. What size are
the pots you use? How much water gets distributed? I wonder how long it
takes for the water to seep out. I am guessing the tree starts forming
roots around the pot - it learns where the water is? Would it have to be
terra cotta? Could it be any fired, but unglazed clay pot? I am asking
this as I wonder if I could make a custom shape which would distribute the
water better.

I appreciate your sharing of information.

thanks,

Marjory