permaculture - Re: [permaculture] using old carpet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] using old carpet
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:39:06 +0000

Margory,

No I haven't xperienced bermuda grass, the nearest I have seen is couch here in the UK.

Don't see any reason why the "carpeting-down" in rings as you say won't work.
One thing people do with carpet and couch grass on paths is to wait till the grass grows through it then rip up the carpet, grass and all, and turn it over.

Some other questions if you will:

When trying to establish the white clover, was seeding coupled with mowing? Was the overseeding and repeated?
Did you use Ladino clover?
Any experience with over stocking chickens in the orchard?
What age are your trees? Type etc? I ask this in relation to grassing down and its effect on vegetative growth.
What kind of areas are we talking?
And what part of the world?
Have you tried vining cover crops? Which could be established in concentrated sites and spread allowed to spread out. You know so they become a problem in their own right, even knotweed (gasp).

Sounds really interesting setup, any pics?

Regards,
Niels

nocompost.blogspot.com