permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:14:53 -0800 (PST)

--- Keith Johnson wrote:
> Earthlink / Mindspring internet service providers
> have been censoring the outgoing email of their
> members. Since we learned this we decided to
> find another ISP. Any recommendations?
>
> --
> Keith Johnson
> Permaculture Activist Magazine

Your email and internet service don't have to be the
same. If yahoo and gmail email services scare you as
well, then I have an option still. Each of us would
still have to pay for service to "connect" to the
internet, or ISP. However, I asked the permaculture
community for their support in the past for a web site
"hosting" cooperative.

Nothing has to change for how you dial-up, wifi, cable
modem, or DSL to the internet. However, the "host"
service, which I was seeking partnership from the
permaculture community, can provide email services
just as easily as being a web server host. You can
register your own domain names (cause of spam warning)
for less than $10/year; otherwise you will need to use
one of the domain names that joins the cooperative.
For those who purchase a domain and participate in the
coop, they benefit from giving out email accounts as
indirect advertising of the given domain.

Where few actually responded to be a part of the coop
a year or so ago, I'll come up with price plan to
offer services like:

. in-house host for permaculture web-sites
. secure email services
. domain name sales
. anything anyone else can provide, as we hold the
keys

I want to use profits to help launch Green Phoenix
Permaculture, in NYC. Although, I will incorporate
the hosting service under a separate liability
umbrella, where risk is involved. If you are
interested in being a part of this effort, please let
me know. I will need backup for Linux administration
tasks, support, and for achieving transparency within
the permaculture community.

If you want to experiment with what I am proposing, I
can host you on my current computer. However, a
certain toddler occasionally thinks it is funny to
watch me get flustered after he unplugs the computer;
so down time is a slight risk. Also, ISP domains,
like Earthlink and AOL, are refusing email from my
below radar host because they don't think I spend
enough money for my current connection (relocatable IP
address and spam protection are the excuses; this can
be resolved if anyone needs me to spend the time on
it), but they send me spam just the same. The proper
connection is hundreds of dollars per month, so I have
a less expensive option below. If you have your own
domain, then you will need to have DNS control to
switch to my host or transfer the domain to somebody
like godaddy.com or other similar domain registers
that allow DNS control.

Example co-located host service: www.layeredtech.com
Example product: AMD-SEMP-2600-A 1 year of service @
$780 plus $19 setup ( A partial T1 is $3600+, which
matches my cable modem performance)

The coop would need to share two years guaranteed
service (I think this is a reasonable expectation for
people purchasing domains by the year). So, $1579
would be shared amongst at least 10 light duty domains
I have commitments currently, plus anyone else I hear
from. I will re-contact those who voiced interest
last year to see if they are still interested. When
you contact me, let me know what services you
want/need, the support you expect with it, and how
much you are willing to contribute to startup costs
like incorporation fees and the $19 setup fee. If you
want to be a member of the LLC, let me know that
(investment verses donations). If you want to help as
a donation and want a tax deduction, you have to wait
for the pro-bono lawyer with the rest of GPP.

Long term, I would like to integrate a computer data
center with commercial composting and an Arctic Char
aquaponic system (wind powered of course).

Who is willing to work out any of these details with
me?

-Sean.