permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:06:11 -1000

Aloha,

Your email and internet service don't have to be the
same. If yahoo and gmail email services scare you as
well, then I have an option still. Each of us would
still have to pay for service to "connect" to the
internet, or ISP. However, I asked the permaculture
community for their support in the past for a web site
"hosting" cooperative.

This is the sort of solution that seems most permaculturish to me.

By contracting directly with an infrastructure provider and leveraging our own techno-permie guild(s) we bypass as much as currently possible of corporate control.

In keeping with the permaculture theme of sharing surplus, of course all software would be open-source. :-)

A colleague and I already have a small-scale personalized hosting and development operation. Our infrastructure is provided by John Companies

http://www.johncompanies.com/

...which is a colocation/hosting service in the same vein as the Layered Technologies example that Sean gives.
We are using one of their virtual private server packages at present, which is quite reasonable cost-wise.
My colleague, who is sysadmin, has complete root control of the virtual server and can provide any platforms(s) and service(s) desired (within the limits of the underlying system of course).
We've got a handful of clients for whom we provide web hosting and development, secure IMAP e-mail with secure web client access, and e-mail lists.

I am certainly willing to promote the creation of this sort of enterprise and/or be employed on the tech side of it.

Meanwhile, for a quick and relatively cheap solution to having "real" (instead of just web-based like Yahoo! etc.) and (most likely) uncensored mail you can get a $9.95/month account with a low-cost ISP such as flex.com (my ISP, rock-solid for me FWIW) - use their mail services for your actual mail account while continuing to use your existing high-speed connection.

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services