permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ISP's and Censorship
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:04:47 -1000

Aloha,

Keith Johnson wrote:
> Earthlink / Mindspring internet service providers have been censoring
> the outgoing email of their members. Since we learned this we decided > to find another ISP. Any recommendations?

Be aware that (sometimes hidden) consolidation exists in the context of internet bandwidth, just as it does in other media (Earthlink and Mindspring now being the same behind the scenes is one example of this).

Changing providers may not make much/any difference, if your new provider is getting their bandwidth from an upstream provider that is functionally the same as your previous provider (or another provider that is also censoring).

In other words, as with other media, consumer products, etc. there are many brands but fewer actual infrastructure owners.

For example, DSL in my area now carries the brand Hawaiian Telcom, which took over (whatever that means) local phone service from former operator Verizon.
However the underlying DSL service is still provided by Verizon systems contracted to/by Hawaiian Telcom. So going deeper than a layer or so in tech support, for example, one ends up talking to Verizon, not Hawaiian Telcom.

Small "local" high-speed providers are usually contracting with the biggies (the local cable and phone companies) to resell their bandwidth.
So don't spend money on a change unless you can be reasonably sure it's a real change.

cheers
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services