permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Future of Food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jill <newsforjill@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Future of Food
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:23:45 -0500

Lawrence, the website for this excellent movie is http://www.futureoffood.com/. (If you decide to buy it so you can show it to everyone you know and hopefully scores of others you haven't met yet, it's cheaper, but less profitable for the creators, at Amazon.)

Lisa, I had a surprising experience showing this movie to my Mom, who is older and seems truly to believe that if she doesn't see it on the corporate news, it's either not true or not important. She had, of course, not heard that GMO plants were spreading unhampered contaminating traditional plants, or that they might not be a great idea. She not only believed what she saw here, but she was shocked at Monsanto's behavior, alarmed that we are jeopardize our ability to grow food, and she is now more tolerant of the "extra" money I spend on local, pastured, organic etc etc. AND she wants to eat more that way herself.

I think movies like this that take a familiar form for TV watchers and that are direct-distributed, have the potential to deliver to the anesthetized viewer the important information corporate media wants to distract them from.

(Slightly off topic, sorry!)
Jill