permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Future of Food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Future of Food
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:10:39 -0500

Maureen Sutton wrote:
Have you all seen The Future of Food movie? I'm horrified. Why is there not more media attention to these issues?? I'm new to the permaculture scene and am way behind the movement, no doubt. But most people I know know NOTHING about these things.
How about our land-grant colleges? How about our Ag Extension offices? Why are they not screaming about the demise of the small farmer and about our dangerous and endangered food supplies? (I don't mean to offend; I know THIS list is full of folks doing excellent things, and I'm very fortunate to have access to it.)

A hearty welcome to th permaculture list, Maureen. I haven't seen this move.
Is there a website with a review of it?
Land grant colleges welcome and depend in part on donations and grants and
other types of funding from corporations,
i.e. the prvate sector. You can imagine the influence a company with its own interestes at heart would have on an academic institution through ample and regular donations; funding for special projects the college wants to engage it.
Extension follows somewhat in this chain of influence as they depend on
support from these colleges for expertise
and innovative projects that affect them in the counties where they work. Extension offices in each county depend on county funding too and politicians and citizens have to answer to to various county ruling bodies, especially county commissioners and planners. Its seems to be another example of trickle-down economics or more specifically funding to pay salaries and for projects. Loss of sources of locally produced high quality food is everyone's fault. Show support
with your pocketbook; buy only locally grown, sustainably grown if possible. Maybe Kevin Topek, in this list, will have some ideas about this.

LL