permaculture - [permaculture] Composting an Entire House

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Travis <blissett@optonline.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Composting an Entire House
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:35:53 -0500

Hi all,

Without knowing much about conventional home construction, I was wondering how it would be possible to systematically compost an entire suburban house. Here I'm thinking of a structure more or less along the lines of the average American McMansion. I'm having difficulty picturing the scope of what might be involved in such a project -- these questions in particular come to mind:

1. To what extent would a house have to be deconstructed before it could be composted? How much of the garbage used to produce a modern home would actually be useful? Here I'm thinking PVC, wiring, plumbing fittings, lighting, ducts, misc. mechanical elements, etc.

2. Would inorganic materials necessarily have to be extracted from the more biodegradable elements? Roughly what percentage of the structural volume of the average house is biodegradable?

3. Could more specific bioremediating agents be introduced to act on inorganic components or problem organics (eg, chemically treated wood)?

4. What other tools might one use to catalyze the composting of a large structure like this? How could a long-term composting site like this be used in other ways? (eg, using bioremediating agents for food or fuel)

Any ideas?

in solidarity,

David