permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bart Anderson" <bart@cwo.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Invasives
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:04:47 -0800

Toby Hemenway wrote:
> I couldn't be so adamant about this issue if my position weren't backed up
> with excellent science. If you're interested in an superb answer to all
your
> questions, and to see how critiques of invasion biology are very well
> integrated into a scientific structure (and how invasion biology itself is
> not!), take the time to read David Theodoropoulos' book, "Invasion
Biology:
> Critique of a Pseudoscience." Well worth it.

I ought to give Theodoropoulos another try. When I tried to read his book a
couple of years ago, I was put off by his polemical style. I was hoping
that another book would come along, that would develop the same ideas but
with a more fair-minded approach.

David Holmgren's website says that he will be coming out with a book on the
subject: "Weeds or Wild Nature: Migrant Plants and Animals in Australia". --
that should be interesting. Holmgren reviews Theodoropolous at
http://www.holmgren.com.au/DownloadableFiles/PDFs/InvasionBiolReview.pdf .

Are you (Toby) -- or anyone else with a scientific background -- thinking of
writing a book about the field?

> And congrats on writing up your zone and sector ideas for the latest
> Activist that you presented in earlier form so wonderfully in our design
> course. Great stuff--I'm only sorry that the drawings were so blurry (a
> common problem with the Activist's printer).

Thanks for mentioning the Permaculture Activist article. Maybe I ought to
post a copy on the Web so that people can decipher the drawings?

The current issue on urban permaculture looks like a winner. I see the next
issue is going to focus on Peak Oil. Should be a good one! The peak oil
discussions often mention permaculture favorably, so maybe permaculture is
due for another growth spurt.

Bart Anderson