permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:45:37 -0500

Toby Hemenway wrote:

I suspect I get a great deal of spam because of this list's web archives. My
old email address receives massive quantities of spam, and when I google it,
this list comes up by far the most often on the hits. My newer address,
though I have used it for 2 years or more, has not appeared in the archives
until recently, and spam is starting to pick up on it now. This is only a
working hypothesis and I am no web maven, of course, but it points toward
this list as a culprit. I am opposed to putting email addresses on the web
and hope we can find a way to fix it, even if it's just asking people, when
they reply, to delete or alter the poster's email address.

To settle this issue once and for all the archives for the permaculture list
will remain open to the
public, and for many good reasons. What I have done to hide a poster's email
address is the most that
the list serve software offers short of tagging every post as sent by
permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org,
and I am not going that route. The lfl at intrex dot net or whatever ID
altering scheme will keep spam
harvesting bots from gleaning such email ID's from the archives.

Why don't I get much spam? I'm in the archives as frequently as anyone and
can't say that this list is the cause.
I use Mozilla and its spam tagging AI to batch delete everything. This is
easy enough and is available to anyone.
You teach the spam watcher what to look for and it is surprising how good it is at getting all of it and rarely anything that isn't.

Try filtering and batch deleting spam on your end. I think you'll be
satisfied with the results.

LL