permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gypsum on crop soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gypsum on crop soils
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:12:55 -0800

I grew up in a zone 6 area with a number of mature black walnut trees
in the yard, and my observation at least as a child was that a decent
amount (though not a lot) of wild scrub developed around the trees.
Unfortunately I do not recall the species since I was more into mud,
romping, and breaking things at that point in my life.

I found two extension web sites that suggest a list of possibilities,
though a number are based on observation, I am not certain how useful
they will be to you. However, the list includes a surprising number of
useful multi-purpose plants (such that could form the basis of a
productive guild. If you try some of them, I'd love to hear a report
back on your success (or not).

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-021/430-021.html

Best of luck!