permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Planting Wildflowers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Johanna Huss Dowd" <johanna_dowd@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Planting Wildflowers
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:23:54 -0500

Also, you need to know how your seeds germinate. Some seeds need light to
germinate, so they would not come up with leaves, or even soil on top of
them. Some seeds might need to go through a cold period (stratification)
before they germinate. This is particularly the case for plants native to
regions with cold winters. Some others might need to be nicked
(scarification) to encourage germination. I would not rake leaves back on a
seedbed, as it would act as a deadly mulch. Many seedlings are so tiny they
would never be able to penetrate the leaves, had germination occurred.

Johanna