permaculture - [permaculture] Planting Wildflowers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "DEBORAH THOMAS-VIGLIANO" <dtv13@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Planting Wildflowers
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:48:05 -0600

I'll be planting some wildflower seed in the next couple of weeks, into a flower bed which has 3 or 4 inches of leaves.
Some are very tiny, which I haven't had much luck with in the past. They never germinate- or something eats them before I notice. I thought I'd ask for tried-and-true methods for planting these tiny little seeds.
What I had planned to do is rake away the leaves, scratch the surface with the garden rake, sprinkle the seed around, and gently rake them in. Would it be too much to rake the leaves, or some, back over the seed to keep them moist?
Thanks in advance. I hope to have some color soon.