permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Linux software

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Linux software
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:05:16 -0800 (PST)

If you are a novice, you may wish to use a larger
distribution than just using the FreeBSD. Red Hat had
the largest following until they started charging
money. However, Fedora Core is perfectly fine for
most applications of Linux. Suse is also popular,
since RH put dollar signs up. I use Sybase and had to
do some tweaking to get Sybase to work with FC, but
the problem was more to do with Linux troubles than
the release I used. The bottom line with my
experience is that the 'yum' utility saved me days or
weeks of work chasing down ghosts.

Something to also look into would be to download a
copy of firefox to upgrade your browser capabilities.
I'm wondering if pfaf and other utilities in the
permaculture community could be tapped from fire foxes
highlight and search feature. I love highlighting
words and getting definitions for obscure words. It
would be nice for highlighting plant names too.
Perhaps a permaculture directory for tracking people
and resources too. This concept may expose a
weekness(mysql performance) for the wiki tool with
heavy use. I notice a lag when loading tikiwiki pages
on every site I see using tikiwiki. With more reason
to use these databases, this could be a problem.

-Sean.