permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Linux software

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: steve stuffit <steve@stuffit.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Linux software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:01:21 +0000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:12:25 -0800
"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

> Anyone interested in having a list to discusss Open Source,
> Permaculture and Linux and any possible relationships between the three?
> Something like ospclinux?
>
> I for one plan to get some kind of Linux running on a spare machine
> (for starters) and would enjoy a handy forum to field questions,
> like for example, how to switch shells from bash to csh,
> install pine, pico, mhonarc and hypermail & maybe procmail on my home
> machine.

i'd be very interested in this. i emailed keith some info about how i use
linux, it might be of use to the list so here it is:

an important point to realise is that linux isn't just good for techie stuff
- it has tools to enable other forms of creativity too, so as a
designer/artist i've found that the majority of tasks i used to do on windows
i can now do on linux.

The Blag link i posted to the list (http://www.blagblagblag.org) fits on a cd
and is a good starting point.

Its also worth installing firefox as a web browser (and you can get all the
plugins like flash, realplayer and so on so you can view multimedia)

There are no equivilents yet for animation packages like Flash

We use a video editor called Kino for simple video editing, and one called
Cinelerra for more complex mulittrack stuff

Audio editing is easy with Audacity, and image editing is covered by a great
package called The Gimp. Its the equivilent of Photoshop 5 maybe 6 except its
free and open source.

Desk top publishing has made huge progress with a package called Scribus. to
get the best out of it make sure you have a good set of fonts properly
installed.

If you have a digital camera then it may or may not work straight away.Mine
didn't but i got a USB card reader and i was able to get my pics that way

With linux you have a choice of window managers (this means that you can
choose different GUIs ) that run on top of the main system. Some are resource
heavy but come with lots of features and some are very light and work
brilliantly on older computers

If you have an old computer i recommend XFCE as a window manager