permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Linux software

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Linux software
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:57 -0800 (PST)

For those not into computer computer technology,
please forgive this intrusion. However, the movement
of permaculture will be more effective with social
innovations such as open source.

Linux has some more hidden advantages than just being
free and more stable than the Microsoft world. As a
piece of the permaculture puzzle, Linux is more
conducive to inclusion in a system design. With MS,
you can't know the whole system, where Linux there are
no proprietary secrets to avoiding bad software design
(the MS word processors and spreadsheet programs
mysteriously didn't crash as often as competitor
Windows programs and the MS programs interoperating by
improperly documented OS design, not their own design,
hence MS took over the software market once windows
gained broad acceptance).

I would like to set up disaster recovery between
permaculture web sites. I will be happy to work with
others struggling with low cost 'non-business quality'
connections. I run out of my bedroom on a cable
modem. (sorry AOL users, but AOL doesn't accept email
directly from my domain, er 24.*.*.* IP address)
Recently, I was able to re-point my domain to a
computer in UK from here in NYC when my connection
failed. I will be copying my site files, when
updated, to that site from now on, and vise versa.
The more we standardize amongst ourselves, for which
open source is the easiest way, the more our computer
systems may be leveraged between us (a good stacking
model with better persistence than even most corporate
designs).

Even better would be when several permaculture
datacenters can play host. There is a considerable
amount of water collected by cooling systems. These
same cooling systems also tend to cool under insulated
rooms. Ground loops for cooling seem to also be an
under used concept. Finally, I have seen no systems
to date that utilize the hot air, even in the winter
months. We also need to work on domain name
registration, merchant accounts, and affiliate
systems, such that the permaculture movement can
leverage with one another as a cohesive force to out
compete the corporate mentality on their own terms.

Together, we are larger than MS. This might be the
largest reason to quietly learn Linux. The source
code is there to be utilized, regardless of whether
the movement continues. Although no computer system
is permanent, the software is as permanent as any
written word could be. What is important is that we
work globally and without tariff to one another, so
that no locality can be permanently taken away from
us. What happened at Indymedia is a good example of
how much it helps for us to collaborate.

-Sean.