permaculture - [permaculture] Urbanite??? and red brick wall

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, PhxPermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Urbanite??? and red brick wall
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:00:14 -0700

Sheridan,

Urbanite is broken up concrete. I have been searching fro some for quite a long time and finally found some small piece. Usually when they break it up the pieces are huge and unmovable.

I am thinking that I will use stone mason techniques to build the wall as the Urbanite is roughly the size and shape of rocks.

Greg

Greg wrote:
I have collected a bunch of urbanite and recycled red brick and am hoping in the next two weeks to build a retaining wall out of them. The wall will be 40 feet long and only about 18 inches tall and is to hold back water. Does anyone have any resources about building with urbanite? How to do it. etc?

I don't even know what urbanite /is/. According to both google and dictionary.com urbanite simply means 'city dweller'. What is it that you have?

I'm interested in building a small garden wall soon (before planting season) and am in the process of claiming bricks from wastegrounds (of which there are quite a lot around me - lots of knocking down of houses, etc). I'll be interested in any answers to this.

Greg
--
sheridan
http://www.wildewood.co.uk/