permaculture - [permaculture] Slug control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bart Anderson" <bart@cwo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Slug control
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:23:12 -0800

We've had slugs and snails in the vegetable garden for several
years. Perhaps I could mention some strategies we've tried.
The strategies are the same for slugs and snails.

Most successful for us has been changing the environment so
the snails aren't as comfortable. For example, we removed boards
and other surfaces under which the snails shelter during the day.
For the same reason, we removed broad-leafed or profuse weeds
in the area.

After installing a drip irrigation system, I noticed that the
number of snails markedly decreased. I suspect that was because
overhead watering had kept all the soil in the beds moist, making
it much easier for snails to get around.

Another tactic is changing the kind of vegetables one grows.
Perennials are much less vulnerable than annuals, for example.

When the snails were particularly bad, we used transplants rather
than seeds since the vulnerable period is shorter with transplants.
We would put copper collars around the young plants Strips of
copper sheet metal can be bought at some garden supply stores
for this purpose. I'd like to try Jude Hobb's idea of putting
bran around plants.

As another poster mentioned, one can make a big dent in the snail
population by going on snail collecting expeditions. One trick
is to leave some boards out, so you can get dozens at once rather
than picking them out of plants one-by-one. Collecting is much
better at twilight or night, as the snails come out of their
hiding places.

I'd love to try eating snails, as someone suggested. The species
of garden snails in our area (Helix aspersa) was originally
introduced by French people for gastronomical purposes, so the
snails should be good eating. Apparently the routine is to put
snails in cages and feed them on corn meal for a week or so, and
when you cook them to use plenty of garlic and butter. There are
instructions and recipes on the Web. It would be very convenient
if we could develop a taste for snails. Talk about an easy source
of protein!

Slugs are less appealing since ours are much smaller. However
a Georgia conchologist says that they are also good eating,
"like escargots with the shell already removed."
http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0408e&L=conch-l&F=&S=&P=
2246

If you do eat snails or slugs, apparently it is important to
cook them to avoid parasites.
http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s969551.htm

Bart Anderson