permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Slug control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Clint Popetz <clint@cpopetz.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Slug control
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:08:02 -0600

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 02:38:06PM -0800, Paul Wheaton wrote:

> I had the best solution until you nixed poultry. Turning chickens
> into your garden a couple of hours before they go to roost would
> make it so they eat the slugs and leave your veggies alone.

That's my largest fear with regard to poultry...getting them to eat
the right things. (Next largest: who feeds them when I go on a week
vacation?) But chickens and ducks are in the longer term plans.

> Next up: how about efforts to attract more wild birds?

We are making efforts to improve that over time. I expect that in
three to five years we'll have enough animal diversity to keep slugs
from being a problem. But I want to eat potatoes until then :)

-Clint
Zone 5b, Urbana IL, US