permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is it me?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is it me?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:49:00 -0600

I agree. You know, I spent 30 years in a pleasant suburb of Dallas with all
the shopping and work nearby, and 3 million people in the triangle area. I
know the city. I did post-grad study there. I worked for the federal
government there. Now the nearest China-Mart is an hour and a half away, and
only the state highways are paved. I have a son and daughter in Colorado
Springs and a son in Albuquerque. They and everybody they know would rather
be out of the city, for various reasons. I agree there are environmentally
ethical ways of living in the city, but not within a system that depends
almost completely on fossil fuel for all transportation and energy, with
endless tons of high-embodied energy concrete everywhere you look. And I
wouldn't argue that just being in the country is automatically sustainable.
Even in remote NM I wouldn't claim some Permaculture purity, but like you I'm
working to live more sustainably in several ways. And it IS work. But I have
to tell you, I learn more from the locals about self sufficiency and
preserving the land than I get from books or seeing hundreds of websites and
dozens of email lists.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net