permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is it me?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is it me?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:27:50 -0600

Does anyone else see a lot of that old "city looking down on the country"
here? If we don't read the New Yorker does that mean we're some kind of
ignorant yahoos? Some people imagine rural life is isolated and just plain
stupid. I see references to TV shows, which I don't watch since I don't need
to be spoon fed commercials the rest of my life. They imagine our children
have no one to play with if we don't buy a tract house or rent an upscale
apartment. They become belligerent and defensive if we mention that cities
are especially vulnerable in severe economic downturns -- or mention that .
It's almost as if the Depression never happened or at least they never heard
what happened in the big cities when unemployment skyrocketed. And BTW my
partner spent her summers growing up in Brooklyn and knows very well what a
city looks like.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net