permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is it me?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is it me?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:04:05 -0700

Tradingpost wrote:

Does anyone else see a lot of that old "city looking down on the country" here?
Never happened in this permaculture list.
> If we don't read the New Yorker does that mean we're some kind of ignorant
yahoos?
Does this forum leave you feeling like an ignorant yahoo?
Some people imagine rural life is isolated and just plain stupid.
Never heard such a thing in my entire life.
I see references to TV shows, which I don't watch since I don't need to be
spoon fed commercials the rest of my life.
Neither does anyone else.
They imagine our children have no one to play with if we don't buy a tract
house or rent an upscale apartment.
This list is not sponsored by USA Today, The National Enquirer or Monsanto, Cargill or
ADM so I wondering who this "they" is.
They become belligerent and defensive if we mention that cities are
especially vulnerable in severe economic downturns -- or mention that .
In the entire life of this venerable forum I have never encountered a single
belligerent or defensive person, other than the occasional
cyberspambot able to hack a subscribership.
It's almost as if the Depression never happened or at least they never heard
what happened in the big cities when unemployment skyrocketed.
I think noone here would like to see that happen again and are doing
everything they can, in their own permacultural way, to prevent it.
And BTW my partner spent her summers growing up in Brooklyn and knows very
well what a city looks like.
And I grew up 2 doors away from the lady who wrote "A Tree Grows In
Brooklyn", Betty Smith.
Had enough? If not go see a rerun of "Bartleby", that'll cure you of
flamewars except the ignorant yahoo part.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net