permaculture - [permaculture] Idealize rural life?/ was self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Idealize rural life?/ was self-sufficiency
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:48:03 -0600

Idealize rural life? Speaking only for myself, I grew up in the country,
worked 30 years in Dallas, and now live in a remote rural area. I know both
very well. Of course I criticize cities, not because they're cities but
because of what people have made of them. I also criticize rural areas for
what people have made of them. And I live consistent with my convictions,
instead of preaching something I know nothing about.

I also know permaculture was intended as a complete system for living
sustainably, not a weekend backyard project in the city for people to dabble
in for some "feel good" in between days at the mall and days slaving as a
mindless cog in the corporate machine. And I don't think "we" are going to
build any "bridge from un-sustainable human settlements to sustainable ones",
simply because "we" are not in charge of the world. We are the wealthy elite
of the world, with about a billion in some stage of starvation. The very idea
that "we" can or should change the world (to suit ourselves of course) is
part and parcel of the hubris that has been the fatal flaw of western culture
for centuries. Many so called progressives still seem to think the world
envies the American Way of Life, yearns for our democracy, or would jump at
the opportunity to get a piece of The American Dream. What they really want
is for us to get our boot off their neck. Consider the Peace Corps - They
think they're taking the light of technology and democracy to the world
(darkest Africa?), but in fact they could learn a lot more that's worthwhile
from other cultures than they ever learned in college. Similarly,
permaculture comes along, and surprise -- some people just take a class and
water it down to make it the latest fad. And never realize that for many
centuries "primitive" indigenous peoples the world over have developed
appropriate technology for sustainability wherever they were.

We're all learning, and of course if we don't make mistakes it means we
aren't pushing the envelope. Perhaps the dialogue will work as a course
correction mechanism. Onward and upward.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net