permaculture - Re: [permaculture] sunflowers and millet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] sunflowers and millet
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:05:51 -0700

Marsha Hanzi wrote:

Sunflowers did well in our dryland polycultures ( which include millet) but seemed to oppress whatever
was growing around them. It may be allelopathy(I know

Hello Marsha!

Interesting. I did not know this. Curly dock reall does it, almost nothing
grows well or at all around it.

this has been observed with some plants) or just water efficiency. If you have plenty of water, try
it-one planting will clear up this question!

I was planning on intercropping them. So I guess I'll find out.
I have seen soybeans and millet grow together very well, harvested for hay.
That year there was good rain.

LL
--
L.F.London