permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:46:13 -0700

mIEKAL aND wrote:
How do you keep from tripping on the holes when you're walking around?

The holes, with excavated dirt look like volcanoes. The soil on the rim is
very loose and fertile
as nutrient-rich water from garden beds above washes into and around the
holes; I've built small dams
to help make this happen. The area around the holes is covered in weeds,
mostly ryegrass. The three acres is
either holes and weeds on the lower elevations, extensive raised garden beds
or fallow land (long wide strips)
in other weeds, mostly curly dock with a little ryegrass - eventually the
dock will take over.

The zone with holes is easy to see though the holes are not so I walk
carefully in the area during daylight and with
a flashlight at night.

Eventually I wil plant fruit trees and berry bushes in some of the holes.