permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:56:23 -0700

Claude William Genest wrote:
Lawrence,

I would like to watch you do all this...Any chance I can come out and see you in action ? Where are you BTW ?

Claude

I'd be glad to have you visit any time, Claude, and watch the plowing,
deep tilthing and water channeling as it happens. I will hire someone with a
tractor to do the work, with my Yeomans plows.
I have other tractor-drawn implements that do remarkable things to the soil
that you will like to see too.

I an in Chapel Hill, NC, pzone 27516, in the country 11 m. west of town.

It will be a while before the Yeoman is ready. Makrketfarm Implements is
expecting delivery from Australiain a month or so.
They need to be shipped to me and I need to mount them on the requisite 4"
toolbar with 3 point hitch (not difficult to build or acquire).

I have done something else on my land that may interest you. I rented a skid loader with 36" hole auger and went all over the downslope periphery of 3 acres of land and drilled hundreds of 3X4-5' holes. Rainfall racing downhill goes into these holes to recharge the aquifer
and irrigate, slowly, the surrounding area. I have apple trees below some of
the holes that are doing quite well.

I have also applied hundreds of tons of rock powders all over my fields and tilled it all in. Some raised vegetable beds with this mix of manure, native soil and rock powders are truly amazing. Some of the most beautiful rich loamy garden soil I have ever seen. It holds water well and is really loose loam.

I assume you are in Vermont. Sure wish we had a Green party candidate on the
ballot here in NC.

LL
--
L.F.London