permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:08:49 -0700

Typos corrected:

darren@permaculture.biz, Darren J. Doherty wrote:
Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote in reply:

1. Are you getting a 4" yeomans tool bar with two shanks?

Two shanks but I will make my own toolbar with factory 2 pt hitch or buy the whole toolbar system from a US supplier

2. Why only two shanks rather than three?

Too much horsepower required for three shanks, especially since I will be using all the rearward sweeps and maybe the hillers too.
I have access to a 45 hp tractor with operator. I assume three shanks would be too much for a 45hp machine.

3. Are you aware that there are two types of shanks - a 22" shank with a
3 tonne breakout shear pin and a 26" with a 5-6 tonne breakout shear
pin?

I had some idea that there were shanks available with several lengths. I am guessing that the 22" would be whai I will make best use of.
I will be buying the Yeomans system from Market Farm Implements in Pennsylvania.

4. With the water channelling are you talking pattern cultivation or what?

Causing water to go into the earth and be directed to areas it would not
normally go to with the runoff pattern following the existing grades.
What is pattern cultivation? Sounds interesting.

5. Are you going to contract or hire out the plow?

No. I will use it on my mini farm only. I might let a friend use it on some of his land so he can find out if he wants to invest in a Yeomans too.

6. Are points supplied in the USA with tungsten tips or hardfacing?

I will have to check the literature on this. I think they are a new type that are "consumable", i.e. you mount them in a way that the metal in them gets used up completely. Which type do you recommend?

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net