permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pinyon, cedar and juniper

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pinyon, cedar and juniper
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:21:01 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2003 10:21:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, CHINAGRVE@aol.com writes:
Besides the spring and summer, do these trees grow at all in the winter?

Marilyn-- good question. In the absence of a more expert answer I'd say they were probably like most plants in that they conserved their energy in the roots in winter, and extended their root system so that when spring broke they could resume their above-ground growth more robustly.

But I await more informed opinion. And while you're at it, could someone tell me the difference between a cedar and a juniper? To me, they're identical. The ones with blue berries on them I've been calling junipers.

Michael