permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Community Pc Gardens?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Community Pc Gardens?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:31 +1000

Interesting thread. Good list of ideas in Rick Valley's 1.8.03 email too. Got me thinking about what is a 'permaculture community garden'.

Rael below says that the gardens listed on the Australian Community Gardens Network website appear to focused on permaculture. Were it so. Yes, there is a strong permaculture influence in Australia: apart from Fiona Campbell and myself, there is Ian Lillington in South Australia, Morag Gamble and Evan Raymond in Queensland and Dr Martin Anda in Western Australia who have been strongly influenced by permaculture design in their work with community gardeners and who have exerted a certain degree of influence over the practice. As for Fiona and I, our involvement in community garden advocacy provided the best means at the time of making a contribution through permaculture. We have had to withdraw somewhat in the past couple years, but the gardens are now accepted by local government as a valid urban landuse. That was our objective when we started our involvement in 1994.

Most gardens, however, are not consciously 'permaculture', perhaps including some of those in the South Sydney Council district that received funding for signage and included a sign about permaculture in their gardens.

I don't quite now what makes a community garden 'permaculture'. Does the presence of a permaculture-trained adviser make it so? Can I suggest that the motivation to act at the community level by members of a community (geographic or interest-based) is an element of permaculture practice whether so named or not? How do you distinguish between a permaculture garden and an organic garden? I recall Bill Mollison once saying that permaculture, in its gardening iteration, is organic gardening plus design. Good definition. But many organic gardeners who do not identify with permaculture use many of the techniques with perennials and the effective use of space described in Rick Valley's email (vertical space, water harvesting etc).

We have promoted the role of community gardens in Australia as multi-use sites and this has been how some have developed with training in green waste conversion, often with local government involvement, schools and cultural activities. May I suggest that and definition of a 'permaculture community garden' include:

- democratic, participatory management
- focus equally on food production and social/ community-building
- mixed plantings whether perennials are included in the system of not (a community garden temporarily occupying an area slated for redevelopment - such as was Randwick Community Organic Garden - might not plant perennials)
- multiple use where possible.

Some gardens here harvest roofwater and have utilised appropriate technologies such as solar ovens. Others are flat out just getting things to grow because of the limited gardening experience of the gardeners.

I see all community gardens, including those that are non-organic, as 'permaculture' activities in the broad sense of the word because they implement permaculture as a community development strategy, consciously or otherwise.

...Russ Grayson