permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Democracy and Capitalism are in contradiction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Democracy and Capitalism are in contradiction
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:39:15 -0500

robscott@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

I use the term "democracy" to refer to a social system in which the
participants as a whole determine how the system operates.
I use the term "capitalism" to refer to an economic system in which the
owners of capital determine how the system operates.

isn't capitalism the economic system with an emphasis on creating surplus value and when this surplus value is sold the benefits go to the "owners" of the operation rather than the producers of the value (the workers.) I strongly agree that capitalism is an economic system but not with your specific definition. Rather than a linking of democracy and capitalism I see both as being very separate. Democracy is a method of choice, capitalism is one of the choices. Which, to me, make life in good ol' USA so frustrating when our "leaders" equate democracy and capitalism. I keep hoping to vote in communism but I'm not holding my breath.

Paul Kosuth