permaculture - [permaculture] Democracy and Capitalism are in contradiction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robscott@sdf.lonestar.org
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Democracy and Capitalism are in contradiction
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:03:58 +0000 (UTC)

Lawrence London:
> >>Put your votes behind a really sound, constitution-oriented judicial
> >>system
> >>and a democratic political system
> >>that adheres to a solid capitalistic economy.

John Schinnerer:
> > A very nice multiple-oxymoron, in my observation. I can only assume this
> > is highly refined satire. No, I'm not kidding. :-| :-|

I use the term "democracy" to refer to a social system in which the
participants as a whole determine how the system operates.
I use the term "capitalism" to refer to an economic system in which the
owners of capital determine how the system operates.

In this sense, capitalism undermines democracy, and democracy
undermines capitalism. They are in contradiction.
You don't have a democracy with a capitalist economy.
You have a language with which makes you comfortable with a contradiction.

Everything else is a ridiculous patching up of history.

Rob