permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robert waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:09:01 -0500

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:
> Where are you moving in West Va? There are two of them, you know. In
> the north and the east, it's really nice. In the coal country,
> well....

Oops, sorry about my confused sentencing, but I meant "we" as a nation
are headed towards destroying whole mountains to get the coal
underneath, not "we" as in the Waldrop household are moving to West
Virginia. I am a fourth generation Oklahoman and expect to finish the
rest of my life here and be buried in the same cemetary as my great
grandparents.

> The political situation is strongly polarized. Half the people hate
> having their state raped and ransacked, and are very vocal about it.
> After all, whenever you get a hard rain, people die from mudslides.
> The other half are pretty adamant about keeping a job or two in the
> state, since there's nothing much going on there besides coal. This
> has been going on for years. My guess is the average person feels both
> ways at the same time.

I have only been to West Virginia once, and it was very beautiful. I
went to visit Karl Hess, who had built an earth sheltered home there.

> Incidentally, when you rescue a bag of mown lawn grass from the dump,
> try throwing a handful of it into your rain barrel. It makes the
> damnedest compost tea you ever saw. I'd like to get it analyzed-- it
> smells like liquid heaven. Wet grass grows some interesting molds that
> I haven't seen described in print, but when used as a mulch they seem
> to do my bushes a lot of good. They also really keep the moisture in.

I will give this a try. Compost tea is not something I have tried yet,
but it is on the list.

Robert Waldrop, OKc