permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:29:12 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/2003 11:12:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, rmwj@soonernet.com writes:
Marimike6@cs.com wrote:
>Where are you moving in West Va? There are two of them, you know. In
>the north and the east, it's really nice. In the coal country,
>well....

Oops, sorry about my confused sentencing, but I meant "we" as a nation
are headed towards destroying whole mountains to get the coal
underneath, not "we" as in the Waldrop household are moving to West
Virginia.  I am a fourth generation Oklahoman and expect to finish the
rest of my life here and be buried in the same cemetary as my great
grandparents.

Oh, that we. I think we're already there. I'm packing now to head out to Colorado, Utah and Wyoming for a few weeks. What I expect to find out there in the empty lands between the Front Range and Salt Lake is a lot of coal-gas extraction sites, where they pump up all the salty ground water the millennia have laid down and leave it on the surface to poison the shortgrass prairie flora and then evaporate. It's not like this kind of damage is irreparable-- if we leave it alone for another thousand years it will largely be mitigated. And besides, legally they don't have to address that matter. They just get to sell the gas and leave the land behind.

Yes, I will be guzzling all the gas a rented Cavalier can burn. I like to travel. I think we only go around once and, since I live in the world, I want to see all of it I can. I think it's a good use of resource. And those little Cavaliers are actually pretty good off-road. I just have to avoid boulders because they'll charge me for any scratches I put on their vehicle.

I hope to find wild horses, and understand there's groups out in the Piseance Basin, right in the middle of a lot of coal-gas exploration. We'll see.

Mike Elvin