permaculture - [permaculture] Development of an agroforestry system for chicken production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Development of an agroforestry system for chicken production
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:28:39 +0100

Apologies for cross-posting.
Thought this might of interest to some of you. Don't know how far it has
progressed (since 3/02) but I'd day it's definitely worth keeping an eye
on. Very pc in its approach.

Cheers,
Ute

http://www.organic.aber.ac.uk/library/agroforestry%20system%20for%20chicken%20production.htm

> Development of an agroforestry system for chicken
> production
>
> Abstract Because conventional production of chickens has
> gone further than any other animal production
> system towards complete control of the animal’s
> brief lives, development of effective
> silvo-poultry systems seems particularly
> necessary for these essentially woodland birds.
> The objective is to develop a production system
> that closely matches the physiological and
> behavioural needs of the animals being reared.
> For the example of chickens, this means trying
> to mimic a woodland/forest-clearing
> environment. By providing a wide range of
> trees, shrubs and herbs, it should be possible
> to provide shelter, nutrition and medicinal
> benefits for the birds. At the same time, the
> system needs to fulfil other functions in terms
> of biodiversity and community assets for the
> farm, together with profitable organic chicken
> production.
> Date: March 2002
> Format: PDF (requires Adobe Acrobat)
>
> From: Powell et al. (eds), UK Organic Research 2002:
> Proceedings of the COR Conference, 26-28th March 2002,
> Aberystwyth, pp. 257-258.

  • [permaculture] Development of an agroforestry system for chicken production, Ute Bohnsack, 06/16/2003