permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #394

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #394
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:32:57 -0700

I would suggest that you get in touch with Ali Sharif and Carlos Miller who have been doing tropical permaculture in Manuas for the past five plus years. They have a demonstration site on the edge of Manaus and a huge favela which is awe inspiring permaculture. They also have an incredible inventory of tropical fruit and timber plants.
Scott

And a little plug. I am currently preparing a project to create a
Permaculture Research Centre at the seringal site mentioned above. We will
be creating a demonstration/education centre, largely to help the local
small scale farmers (who currently cut the forest down, plant crops for
three years, then, when the grass "sape" overtakes the area they just sit
and wait for the next government food handout - no more slash,burn and run -
not many places left to run too! - in official government terms this process
is called - land reform - a concept the World Bank forced on us). The centre
will investigate the use of permaculture within tropical climates, and will
place a strong emphasis on zone 5 - through extraction of non-timber product
s, such as rubber, brasil nut and oil of copaiba. SO, give me a few months

  • [permaculture] Fwd: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #394, Scott Pittman, 11/13/2002